To build a house you need to have things in right order.
First comes the foundation, then the walls and finally the roof. To build out of sequence simply does not work if you want a house at the end of your efforts.
To take fresh steps in ministry and mission we need to have things in right order. We need to start with the right foundation. The right foundation is the declaration that there is nothing more real than God and our call is to give God glory.
We struggle with taking fresh steps in ministry and mission because we lack this foundation. The truth is God is not real enough to us. So many other things seem more real from political leaders to vacations to our families to… We invest in these things as if they are absolutely real. We invest in God as if God might be real.
To move to invest in fresh steps in ministry and mission we need to have God as real in our lives. We can discern this by asking questions:
- What do our lives say is truly real?
- Where is our heart’s true home?
- Is that home where we say with our mouth and believe in our heart that the triune God is at the center of the universe, where Father, Son, and Holy Spirit ultimately and eternally real?
- Do we own that all things revolve around the triune God?
When we own the biblical reality that the triune God’s glory is at the center we have a foundation. With this foundation we can take fresh steps in ministry and mission. Fresh steps that lead us to be a picture, foretaste, and ambassador of God and God’s new creation.
As we move into taking fresh steps in ministry and mission our hearts focus on God’s glory. When we do that our own desires fade and God shines.
- How important is God’s glory to you as you long for your congregation to take fresh steps in ministry and mission?
- What shows that God’s glory is at the heart of your desire for your congregation to take fresh steps in ministry and mission?
- Is there anything you need to do before you move forward so that God’s glory is at the center of your desires?
Can you fathom the mysteries of God?
Can you probe the limits of the Almighty?
They are higher than the heavens above—what can you do?
They are deeper than the depths below—what can you know?
Their measure is longer than the earth
and wider than the sea. Job 11:7–9 NIV