To build a house you start with the foundation, then you build the walls and then roof is put on.
To fresh steps in ministry and mission we begin with the foundation, namely, the declaration that there is nothing more real than God and our call to give God glory. On this great foundation come the walls, the church. Finally, comes the roof, God’s people.
To truly take fresh steps God’s people need to know who they are.
Imagine what would happen if Kirk Cousins (quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings) forgot who he was in the middle of a game. He wouldn’t know what he was supposed to do, what his purpose was on the field and there’s the real possibility of getting injured.
As we seek to participate in taking fresh steps in ministry and mission we need to know some critical truths about ourselves:
- We are rescued from sin, shame, and brokenness by Jesus Christ
- We are God’s adopted daughters and sons through Jesus Christ
- We are called to live the ways of our family
- We who were many are now one in Jesus Christ
- moving from an “I” emphasis to a “we” emphasis where we are deeply connected to the church
- We are in union with Christ which is strengthened through Word and Sacrament in worship
- We are citizens of the City of God that city shapes us in all of our ways
The challenge is that our therapeutic, materialistic, self-focused culture makes us forget our true selves.
When we remember our true selves and remember that those who share in Christ are working together for his glory and to build Christ’s church then we are ready to take fresh steps.
- As you take fresh steps in ministry and mission how will you work with God’s people for God’s glory?
- As you take fresh steps in ministry and mission how will you work with God’s people to build Christ’s church?
- What will you need to remember and tell others about who we are as God’s people in order to take fresh steps?
“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace… Ephesians 1.3-6a